Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie

Linda of Tender Crumb decided on Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie on pages 337-339 for this weeks Tuesday with Dorie recipe. This was one complicated pie. The secret to making this cream pie so creamy, comes from the egg mixture heated and beaten over a double boiler. There was a lot of lime and a little ginger. I wanted more ginger flavor, so I noted that in the book for the next time around. The zing was fantastic. In fact, my 2 and 4 year old would eat it, because there was too much zing for their little taste buds. I didn't think they could say no to something sweet, but after the first bite and their lips curled into the sour pucker, and their eyes began to water, I knew that this recipe would not be returning for the kids.
After heating and thickening, the mixture cools a bit, then is strained into a blender, and mixed with a LOT of butter. Then it cools in the refrigerator for 4 hours, then spooned into the graham crust and topped with a fluffy meringue. Then back to the refrigerated again for a few more hours. Many, many steps, but so, so worth it! We are are a big fan of limes in this house, and this pie just hit the spot. I will have to confess, my hubby was leaving for a few days, so I reduced each refrigeration drastically so we could have a little taste before he left, and I would definitely recommend NOT skipping the refigeration steps. The pie didn't set up correctly, but the pie did set the next day and we enjoyed the pie over again, and shared it with friends. YUM! This is a definate 5 star pie in my book, and I will be bringing this out for summer parties and BBQ's. YUM!


5 comments:

  1. Looks like a big winner (except for the under 10 set)! Your meringue looks perfectly browned! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours looks excellent! I am glad that you got to enjoy some with Brock before he left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pie. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corri,

    Your desserts look fantastic! It looks like I've missed out on some good ones. I can't wait to start again.

    Hope all is well!

    Janell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too tart for the kids? I'm glad you're trying the new recipes out. Looks delicious too! Just read Julie/Julia. Good read.

    ReplyDelete