Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tuesday's with Dory -Banana Bundt Cake

I love to bake. It's my hidden secret, but alas, the time has come to nourish this little secret love affair. My mom, like any good mom, taught me to bake. Sunday afternoons become my time to create and discover in the kitchen much to my family's enjoyment despite the growing waistlines. It was always sweet and never low cal or healthy by any means. My mom even went as far as to enroll me in baking competitions and I won some sort of an award for my Blueberry Streusel Muffins. YUMMY! I'm always trying new recipes and adding a little of this or that to already existing recipes. My kitchen is one of my creative outlets.
Well I have recently started to follow a new baking group online, Tuesdays with Dorie. Each participant chooses a recipe from Dorie's book, and on their week to host that recipe is baked all over the world. Pretty cool.

The first recipe I baked was the Perfect Party Cake, as a challenge to see if I was up to the task and if I would enjoy this adventure. It turned out beautifully, and it was delicious. I think I made it 3 times in a month! I did not use the jam between layers, however, but I made a raspberry compote by simmering frozen raspberries with 1/4 cup sugar over the stove. I spread the ridiculously delicious frosting on the layer first, and then spread the compote over the top, so we wouldn't have a slippery mess. My first attempt was for a 4th of July party, hence the blueberries. Here is my picture-
I unofficially started TWD last week, but the recipe chosen was Vanilla Ice Cream. Our Ice Cream maker burned out on us in February, so I replaced the recipe with the Raspberry Blanc-Manger, pronounced Blah-Mahn-Jay. I loved letting the words roll off my tongue; blah- mahn-jay....I felt like I had just jumped into the big leagues of baking, because if you can't pronounce the recipe, it must be gourmet! Right?!?!? It was delicious, white, creamy, fluffy and I loved the almond accent. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture, but it got three thumbs up from me, my hubby, and his buddy. I will most definately make that again, when I have the need to impress someone special.

The recipe of the week is the Banana Bundt Cake. It was quick, and easy, but I thought the taste was lacking. The cake was very mild. I chose to use the Lemony White Icing and it was a nice counter point to the mild banana flavor. The texture and was very soft, smooth and delicate. My only issue with the cake is using the confectioners sugar. I can never get the lumps out no matter how much I sift it. I must need a new sifter!


2 comments:

  1. Corri, your cakes look beautiful! Next time I will have to try the lemony icing as well. Love your blog too, it's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Perfect Party Cake looks awesome and soo festive!
    And your Banana Bundt Cake looks beautiful! Sorry the flavor didn't jump out at you, I really love banana baked goodies!

    ReplyDelete